Here is a fairly comprehensive list of foods that are toxic to your dog and that they should not eat. In alphabetical order, these foods are bad for your dog and in many cases considered poisonous. The list contains both foods that should either NOT be fed or in some cases, limited to the amount you can safely feed them. You might be surprised at how many of the foods we eat that are actually harmful and dangerous to feed our fur babies.
Alcoholic Beverages: This should go without saying but I’ve seen people giving their dogs beer especially (See Hops below). Dogs should not drink alcohol. It can cause intoxication, coma, and even death!
Avocado: The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
Bones: Bones from fish, poultry, or any other meat. These can be swallowed and cause an obstruction or a laceration in the digestive system.
Chocolate and Coffee: Both contain theobromine and caffeine. These affect the heart and can be toxic to dogs. Can result in death if too much is consumed.
Fat trimmings from people food: Fat can cause pancreatitis.
Hops: Causes increased heart rate, seizures, and even death.
Liver: Although we do feed liver, large amounts of liver should be avoided. It can cause vitamin A toxicity which can affect muscles and bones.
Macadamia Nuts: These tasty nuts contain an unknown toxin that can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscles of dogs.
Milk: Because dogs do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), milk and other milk-based products can cause them diarrhea or other digestive upset.
Moldy or spoiled food/garbage: This is another one that just makes me cringe. Why would anyone think of giving moldy food to their dog? Yet they do! There can be any number of toxins in moldy, spoiled food that cause vomiting and/or diarrhea along with toxins that affect other organs in the dogs body.
Mushrooms: All mushrooms contain toxins. Many of them can affect the body systems that result in shock and/or death.
Onions, Garlic, & Chives: All members of the onion family contain sulfoxides and disulfides. These damage red blood cells and cause anemia.
Peach, plum, or other pits: Can cause digestive track problems.
Grapes & Raisins: In large amounts can cause damage to kidneys.
Raw Eggs: You may have heard this will give your dog a shiny coat. Don’t do it. Raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin. Avidin decreases the absorption of biotin, a B vitamin. This can actually cause skin, hair, and coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain salmonella.
Raw Fish: If fed regularly, raw fish can result in a thiamine (B vitamin) deficiency which can lead to loss of appetite, seizures and sometimes even death. It’s a good idea to avoid feeding raw fish at all.
Salt: Salt can lead to an imbalances of electrolytes.
Sugar and sugary foods: Sugar leads to obesity, dental problems, and diabetes.
Table scraps: While these aren’t dangerous, they should never make up more than 10% of the diet.
Tobacco: I’m sure nobody would feed this voluntarily however precautions should be made to put tobacco products out of the reach of our furry friends. Tobacco contains nicotine, which damages the nerous and digestive system. Side effects are rapid heartbeat, collapse, coma, and death. If your dog ingests tobacco. Call your vet immediately!
Xylitol: Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste. It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure.
Yeast Dough: This might seem silly but yeast dough can expand and create very painful gas in your dog’s stomach that can lead to possibly rupturing of the stomach and intestines.
If you believe your dog has ingested something he shouldn’t have, call your vet or animal hospital immediately. Signs of poisoning include vomiting and/or diarrhea, seizures, trembling, salivating or drooling, swollen red skin or eyes, bleeding from any body cavity, ulcers on the skin, listlessness, and depression. Consult with your vet if you see any of these symptoms.
To your dog’s good health,